Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Harry Potter, a phone and Bamako

Harry Potter finally arrived! I'm very excited it came before homestay, because apparantly I'm gong to have a lot of down time.

In other news, I also finally have a cell phone. It's a Peace Corps issued one, so I should have it for the rest of my service. Basically how it works is I buy phone cards to add minutes to my phone. It's really expensive, so it works far better (for me) to have you call. I'll add the phone number to my contact information.

We went into Bamako for the first time this week. It was not nearly as exciting as I'd hoped, but still good. We went to a tubob store (grocery store geared toward white people) where I bought paprika Pringles. Then we went to a restaurant for pizza and ice cream. It was fantastic. Unfortunately that's all we did because we only had a few hours and the restaurant was really slow.

Tomorrow I head out to my site...I'll let you know how it goes.

3 comments:

nmg said...

Yeah...I'm glad Harry arrived. Was the package intact(3 items)?

Happy to hear you've got a cell. I'll activate the pincity account.

I wonder where those pringles are made? First Italy, then Mali...but never the US!

Anonymous said...

Paprika Pringles! We are definitely getting me some of those when I visit. I'm bringing twelve tubes of them home with me, one for each month until you come home... and bring me twelve more.

Billie said...

Glad you got your book!! I'm so excited to here about your visit to your site. What a wonderful adventure. Take care. Love you