Thursday, August 9, 2007

Yangasso

I just got some info about Yangasso that I thought I'd share. It's a town of about 5,000 people with surrounding villages that make a population of about 70,000. I'm the first volunteer at the site, and I'll be working as a community development agent. Still no idea what that really means. I'll have no electricity or running water at my house, but access to both in other parts of the city. My counterpart agency will be a local NGO, but I'll also work with the mayor's office. My housing situation will be a two or three room apartment in a concession with a Malian family. I will have cell phone coverage! I will be visiting my site for the first time on the 22nd.

5 comments:

nmg said...

I missed you by about 15 minutes. Your assignment sounds great in so many ways. Glad it's in a region where fruits and veggies will be available. Especially happy to hear you'll be able to have a cell phone. I'm going to go see what I can find on Yangasso

Anonymous said...

How are you feeling today? Never thought I'd hear anyone sound so happy about living somewhere with no electricity or water! Get better soon.

Anonymous said...

OK. More about the joking cousins please. Is this the sort of society where everyone is excessively polite, so you need a designated person to let off the steam? I don't know if being a natural born smart aleck would be a plus or a minus. You sound like your feeling better. Ain't the internet great.
Joe

Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like a pretty good situation... I know you wanted to be near Sikasso, so that's good. I'm so excited for you!

Billie said...

Finally!! I forgot my password, etc. but now I'm in. So happy to hear all you have had to say. How exciting for you. I'm so thrilled for you and all you are now experiencing (even if some of it isn't necessarily positive). Such an amazing opportunity for you to share just how GREAT you are. There's a letter coming. I love you.