Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Illness

I feel honored to be one of the select few who is really sick. I missed classes this morning to hang out in the medical office; downing Gaterade and trying to sleep. I have a bacterial infection, cold and was dehydrated. Good fun. They have to send my tests to the US embassy to get more detailed results, but I got some good drugs a little while ago. I'm determined to be better tomorrow so I don't have to go to the med office in Bamako. We have site announcements at 9:30 tomorrow morning, and I WILL be there.

Out of the 83 original volunteers, only 81 made it to Mali. Since then we have lost 4. One was mentally unstable (literally), two went home by choice, one was forced to leave this morning because of public drunkeness. I was totally bummed that she left because she would have made a great volunteer. A bunch of PCTs went to a bar, and she got sick. I think they were trying to set an example, which is understandable. It still sucks.

Nothing else has happened. The med office here has comfy beds, fans, soft pillows and real bathrooms. At least something good has come out of this.

2 comments:

nmg said...

I'm glad your infection in bacterial, so that there is medicine to help. I hope it works quickly so you'll be able to enjoy the comfy bed and soft pillows.

Anonymous said...

I am sooo sorry you feel shity. Get better soon.
Joe