Saturday, September 22, 2007

The Breakfast Club

The last few days have been a whirlwind. After swear in morning, all of the new PCVs headed to Bamako for the night to party with PCVs from past classes. There was a lot of drinking, dancing and late night swimming. One of the highlights was the naming of my PCV class. Every year, the group who swore in the previous year names the newcomers. Three classes ago they were the “Cleavers” because they were so well behaved. Last year’s class was the first huge group of over 70 new rowdy volunteers. They were appropriately named the Belushi’s. We were named “the Breakfast Club,” apparently because of our very diverse group of people.

We leave tomorrow morning for our sites…bright and early at 6am (following breakfast at 5). Honestly, I’m absolutely terrified. My language skills are not great, especially since I’ve been learning French but most people in my village speak only Bambara. They’ve also given us very little direction about what we’ll be doing the next few months. We’re not allowed to start projects until after IST (in-service training) in January, so this first phase is only evaluating the community and working on language.

More than anything, I’m nervous about the isolation. I’ve developed some close relationships with other volunteers, who I most likely won’t see for four months. I’m also losing my internet access. The closest is in Segou, a couple of hours away by bus. I’ll be lucky to update once a month or so. What I’m trying to get at is that my nerves are getting to me at the moment, though I am really excited to get going. So basically, please call or send letters whenever you have a chance!

Hopefully everything will work out for the best. If I can make through this next phase I’ll be able to last the two years. Being an official volunteer is great; but being an official volunteer who speaks the language will be even better. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

nmg said...

I'll have to try and find a copy of The Breakfast Club and send it your way.