Thursday, September 6, 2007

Field Trip

Some days it just hits me that this is absolutely where I want to be. Today was one of those days. I’m bursting with so much happiness that it makes me want to cry.

Nothing particularly exciting has happened recently. There’s been a lot of language tutoring, and a fair amount of technical training as well. My favorite sessions were about a week ago when all of the SED and NRM (natural resource management) volunteers went to Siby, a little town an hour out of Bamako. We spent the morning learning about the shea nut industry and ways in which local production could really boost local economies. It was wonderful to finally study something applicable.

After lunch we were all able to go on several incredible hikes. The best was up to a seasonal waterfall that overlooked the countryside. We felt like little kids climbing on rocks and splashing in the water. If in two months time we all have schisto (a charming worm you can get from running water), it will have been well worth it. I’ll try to upload some pictures soon.

Now I’m off to play 151, a Malian card game (in French), with my favorite Lindsey in the world. Wish me luck…she’s going to kick my ass.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are going to that waterfall!

Billie said...

I couldn't ask for anything better for you than what you just said. What a way to live your life. Keep up the enthusiasm - and yes, please give us more pictures. I love you lots, Billie